January 27, 2015

The Story of our Cary Boy

Even though Cary was born this last October, his story really began a few years ago. I'll spare the details because it was a very special personal experience for me, but suffice it to say, his spirit was a part of me for some time before I became pregnant. There was a space in my heart long wanting that disappeared when he came to this earth.

Sunday 10.19.14
I was having very mild contractions all day so I convinced Ryan to walk to the bridge the girls love after church. It was 4 miles round trip and so so hot out. It was definitely uncomfortable, but not enough to make my contractions any stronger/closer together. I was hopeful that  progress was being made though, since I had been contracting all day.

Monday 10.20.14
I had my 38 week appointment in the late afternoon. I was still feeling lots of small contractions and growing pressure through the night. I spent the morning pumping, and walking through contractions in an effort to help things along. The inactive portion of my labors tends to drag on a bit, but I was definitely in labor. I could feel it. Last time I was pregnant and feeling this way, I went to my morning appointment and was sent straight to the hospital. Before my appointment I packed all our hospital bags and did my hair an make up (I know, I'm ridiculous). I even got the baby car seat all buckled in. I dropped the kids off at Melanie's house, and headed to my appointment. I was so excited for Dr. Maresh to check me and tell me the progress we made. He said I hadn't moved at all! No dilation. No effacement. Nothing. He said my cervix was "slightly shorter," but I'm pretty sure he just pitied me as I broke down in tears. I was so excited to be so close to meeting my baby and I about lost it when he said I hadn't progressed. Totally sat in the car and cried. I complained to Melanie and she reassured me that I didn't have long and my body was working on things and getting ready. I went home, got the kids down for bed, and decided I was going to stop pouting, and start helping my body work. I went through the exact same thing during the tail end of my last pregnancy. I flipped a switch and felt motivated again. Ryan worked late, but when he got home, around 8pm I headed to the gym. I got a pretty good, long work out in and came home to shower & go to bed. I started feeling my contractions coming stronger/closer together around 11pm so I decided to stay awake and pump/walk through contractions for a while. I was regularly contracting every 6-7 minutes finally! so I didn't want to risk going to bed, and then having them slow down. I turned on Netflix and jogged/did jumping jacks around our kitchen island through every contraction. Every. single. one. Before I knew it, it was 1am, then 3am, then around 6am I woke Ryan up. We got ready and packed the kids up for Melanie's house and headed to the hospital.

Tuesday 10.21.14
We got to Pomerado around 7am and got all situated in a room. Funny side story: They added security doors to the L&D floor since the last baby we had where you have to buzz them and look into a camera to be let in. We saw locked doors and both just stood there. We heard someone on the intercom say, "Can we help you?" Ryan, looking around the room since we didn't know where the camera was replied, "We're here to have a baby!" Nurse Cathy came in and introduced herself and said she needed to check me before they admitted me. I was so so nervous. I was praying that all that work through the night wouldn't be for naught! She measured me at 2cm. Yay! For my body, 2cm is a lot. I've never been one of those women who walks around dilated a few cm for weeks on end. Cathy sent Ryan and I to walk the halls for an hour. Ryan sat and watched me walk back and forth over and over. His mom got him in trouble for not walking around with me, haha. At 8am we went back into our room and got checked again. 2cm with "wiggle room." I wasn't surprised or disappointed. This is typical for my body. I take a long time to get to 4-5cm and then move very quickly after that. Cathy came in and said, "Are you totally opposed to going home?" What! Of course I'm opposed to going home. She expressed concern that they would break my water and my labor wouldn't progress and I would end up with a cesarean. I started to second guess myself. I decided to trust my body and and reassured her that this is how my body works. I told her I was positive that I was in active labor, but my contractions were slowing because my body was exhausted, hungry, and dehydrated. She called my OB wanting to send me home and he told her to admit me and he'd come break my water during the lunch hour. I love him. I contracted irregularly and tried to rest, since I knew there would be little of that after my water was broken. And I was exhausted after laboring all night, but I was too excited to sleep. Dr Maresh came in and broke my water around 1pm. I was only at 3cm by that point, but contractions came on quickly and heavily thereafter. I curled over a pillow and rocked back and forth by the bed. I like to go within myself during contractions and I remember the quiet of just Ryan and I in the room being so nice. Cathy came in to check on me around 4pm and measured me at 6cm. At that point, we told Melanie to come as I knew it wouldn't be long. I was excited and scared. I had my epidural and tried to relax. I didn't push the magic button they give you for the epidural once. I'm not sure if I was just preoccupied or over tired. Or both. Melanie got there, and I started to feel the pressure that means baby is coming. SO MUCH PRESSURE. Like so much pressure. Dr Maresh was nearby in surgery so he stopped by to check. As he went to check me, he said "we're gonna have a baby in a second," and the nurses all quickly shuffled about getting things ready. Dr Maresh asked Ryan if he wanted to deliver the baby and got him all dressed. The time came and I gave my first push. Something about this baby hurt so bad! It felt like I would never be able to get him out. Too much pressure. I pushed again through tears. I felt his head come out and I saw the excitement on Ryan. He went down to catch the baby and Melanie stood with me. I remember saying I wanted to take a quick break. Ha! I pushed once more and Ryan pulled him out and handed him to me. Mad love. There's no feeling like that of when your baby is finally born. When the pain stops and you see their tiny body. Nothing like it. My dear friend Brooke and her associate Rachel walked in right then at the perfect time to take photos for us. I am so so grateful to them for taking these photos for us! We'll treasure them forever.

Welcome to the world sweet boy.

Carrington Vaughn Hartzell
10.21.2014
6lbs 1oz


Cary Birth Slideshow from Molly Hartzell on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment