This article has been circulating throughout the different social networking sites lately. For obvious reasons, it's quite relevant to mothers, and most who have read it seem to be singing their praises to Glennon Melton and her words written. Here's the thing: I disagree.
I agree that motherhood is work.
Hard work. And I won't pretend that every moment I have spent wrangling two babies, calming tantrums, praying for sleep, and cleaning messes has been enjoyed. Neither will I say that I have never raised my voice, called upon family for help, or snapped at Ryan in the wee hours of the night.
Or indulged in a lot a few more cookies than a human being should. But here's where I take issue with this article.. There is an experiment wherein you give a child a lollipop and place a marble in their shoe and ask them to walk around the room. When asked how they feel, they almost always express pain and irritation toward the sensation of walking with a marble in their shoe. But what of the yummy lollipop in their mouth? "Carpe diem" translated literally means:
seize the day. It is
used as an admonition to seize the pleasures of the moment without concern for the future. Rather than being so quick to anger when B empties an entire box of wipes all over the family room, I love to stop and observe the sense of accomplishment on her face when she thinks she's
helped mommy clean the house. It doesn't say
enjoy every waking second of your life. But should we not
seize the opportunity and blessing we have been given of another day with our children and all the joys and hardships that motherhood brings? Perhaps you will think me naive, but I believe there is joy to be found in
every single moment of motherhood.
It's a pain to run errands with small children? I
have small children of my own to care for, and a husband who works hard so that I can go run errands and buy the things that we need.
The housework never seems to be done? I have a warm house to live in, plenty of food in my fridge to cook, and loved ones who need me.
I refuse to settle for the notion that we are to all "get by," and not
work and
try every single day to see the blessing in every trial.
Love this post! That article rubbed me the wrong way. I get emotional almost daily at the fleeting moments of my boys infant and toddler days. I really wish I could slow it all down. Being mama is hard but I think you really NEED to put the effort into enjoying ALL of it. Now let me be hated as well :) BTW love your blog and your girls are just beautiful. You know I have some boys around the same ages :)
ReplyDeleteLove you and your wisdom... Have lots of babies. The fingerprints stay longer....
ReplyDeleteThank you thank you ladies!
ReplyDeleteKelli- We plan to! If only Ryan was on board with having more NOW. Haha.
Shaye- Let me just say, your boys are DARLING. A perfect match :)
Such a perfect response to that very heartbreaking and tragically short-sighted 'don't carpe diem' article. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteI love this Molly!! :) Thank you!
ReplyDelete