March 21, 2011

Livin' the Dream

We've gotten quite a wide variety of reactions from people who've learned we're pregnant. Most friends and family members were thrilled and congratulatory. Comments from other family members include: "Well, this isn't exactly the life I would've chosen for you." Some respond mockingly, and some sound almost apologetic in their response.

This really hurt me at first. Especially to hear from loved ones. I began to feel insecure about my choices and frankly, irresponsible. I confided in one dearest friend of mine and my insecurities became anger, then sadness, and then I realized something:

I married my best friend when I was 17. We had our sweet Brianne when I was 18. When I have this baby I will be 19 years old. I have nothing higher than a high school education.

I am 18 years old and I am in love with Ryan; I always have been.
I am 18 years old and I have my family for eternity.
I am 18 years old and I spend my days caring for the sweetest baby girl you will ever meet. I make bottles, I mix baby food, I spend a fair amount of time at the pediatrician, I brush two little teeth, and say prayers Daddy will get home safely before putting my favorite little friend to bed and picking toys up off the ground before Ryan walks in.
I take care of our home and support Ryan with his school.
I am raising up a sweet daughter of God to be a righteous spirit of faith and love for her Savior. 
For now, my schooling is on hold as Ryan works to finish his education and I work to help him. But rest assured, I will be working on my education just as soon as possible.
I may not be "successful" in the eyes of the world, but I am fulfilling my sacred obligation to bring spirits into our eternal family and teach them the principles and truths which will lead them back to our Heavenly Father.
I am doing what I've always wanted to do. I get to be a stay at home mommy, thanks to a perfect husband who works so hard so that our kids will be able to have their mommy home to love and teach them.

What might I accomplish that would make me more "successful" than that?

I'm exactly where I should be, and now I can say I know that without a doubt.






8 comments:

  1. I love it Moll! I could not be happier for you two and I am honestly SO proud of you! From day one... from way before day one, I have been your guys biggest cheerleader and so help me anyone who tries to bring you down now, after you two have worked SO hard and put up with SO much... can answer to me! I mean that.
    I love you both more than you will ever know and wish SO bad I was closer so I could love on that baby! I cant wait for baby #2 :)
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on, Molly. You do the best you can, and I am in awe and inspired by you. For what it's worth, I think you're doing a great job! :) Congratulations of Baby #2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Molly...I went through the SAME experience...and I was even 24 by the time we were having our second...so it doesn't matter, regardless of your age and your experiences, there will still be those who try to bring you down. You are right to be thrilled. Good for you for figuring out your priorities so early. It took me several years of trying to appear successful in the eyes of certain loved ones...like I didn't just "settle" for being a stay at home mom, before I was able to stop caring about what they thought. There will probably still be those situations where people you love will hurt you with their comments...but just stick to what you know is most important...and pity those who don't "get it." *HUGS* little momma! =^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you Molly! You guys are doing so great and there is nothing better than bringing sweet beautiful babies into this world. You two work so hard in all that you do and I know that you guys will be successful. Its so obvious that you and ryan are so in love and will make it through this life and the next. I have to deal with negative family members on Sean's side always tearing me down for everything I'm not and I know its not fun and can drag me down at times, but hopefully as time goes on we can prove them all wrong. You are such a strong woman and a great mom and wife and eventually everyone is going to see that. I'm really looking forward to meeting baby #2 and hope your pregnancy goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being "just" a stay at home mom is definitely not the best in the world's eyes, but those of us who do it know the blessings! Good for you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a favorite country song in our house called "How do you like me now". Rock out to that one! Your life lived right is enough of an "I told you so" to anyone who gives you grief. Enjoy motherhood - you are doing an amazing job and have a beautiful little girl! Congrats on baby #2 I hope you feel better soon - just so you know pregnancy brain NEVER goes away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you guys! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tears streaming down my face because I am overwhelmed with pride. You are MY baby girl and one of my best friends. Not to mention one of my greatest examples. I love you beyond measure. Thank you for "getting it".

    ReplyDelete