December 16, 2011

Experience

 And if thou shouldst be cast into the apit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the bdeep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to chedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of dhell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give theeeexperience, and shall be for thy good.
 The aSon of Man hath bdescended below them all. Art thou greater than he?
This part in the scriptures is among my favorites. First of all, I love the Doctrine and Covenants. Just love. And this section, where Joseph Smith has been pleading with the Lord in a moment of exhaustion pops into my head often. Heavenly Father's reply to him is a constant reminder to me to be grateful for trials, because that is how we learn. Lately, I have needed reminding of the beauty in a few quite minuscule trials we have been facing:
I am grateful that the only health issues we have to worry about are a few colds.
I am grateful to be working hard to loose baby weight because this means I have an able body, and more importantly, the blessing and opportunity to have sweet babies.
I am grateful for the chaos that inevitably surrounds us during the holiday season, because we have so much family close by to celebrate with.
I am grateful for housework and errands to run because I have a beautiful home, and a sweet family to share it with who needs me.
And on another note, there are some simpler things I am grateful for at the moment: Pinterest, baby legwarmers, baby smiles, Netflix, Moms, Mod Podge, iPhones, strollers, Christmas decorations, presents under the tree, San Diego weather, our ward family, my new calling to YW, a working car, a warm bed, how B talks to Leighton, how Leighton smiles at B, Baby Bjorns, sweet friends, a hard working husband, a washer and dryer, Mac n Cheese, pita chips, hummus, Coke, leggings, real Christmas trees, a temple so close, baby kisses, Target, swimming, Costco, a baby that sleeps through the night, and a super cute boy who loves me. Just to name a few.
I am also grateful for our future track star:

And my little sister and frequent conversations about clothes and hair.. 


No comments:

Post a Comment