October 21, 2011

Double Trouble


Leighton is a month old, and I have blogged once. Mostly because we have been in survival mode the past few weeks. And partly because we've been having fun. Ryan is home with us, and we love it. I keep thinking of things throughout the day that I need to blog so as to not forget them. But whenever a free moment arises, I fall asleep. Two babies is so much more than double the work. The good news is, I have been showering regularly and getting through most days without crying. A few nights ago around 3:30am, I was especially exhausted and Leighton was wide awake. I prayed for patience and that I might remember to be grateful for such a sweet spirit in our family. I realized that it wasn't a crying baby that was the problem, but my own attitude. Ever since, I have actually quite enjoyed our quiet time together at night. Leighton doesn't get nearly as much attention as B did during the days, so night time feedings and cuddles are my time to get to know her. And I love her to pieces.

Things to remember from our first month as a family of four:
- Having Ry home with us is worth all the pains that come with having a baby, just to get to spend all day together.
- Leighton has her grandma's nose. Ryan's mom.
- Regardless of intrusive family members, my birth story is my own, and doesn't have to be stressful.
- L does not like the breeze, or cold hands. At all. She needs to be covered constantly.
- B is the best big sister. She loves helping get diapers, cover L with her blankies, and throw trash away. Side note: I opened our Tupperware cupboard one day to find a pile of dirty baby diapers. B had gotten confused as to which cupboard had the trash can. Hilarious.
- A few days after I had Leighton, Ryan's mom brought over all of his favorite frozen foods so I wouldn't have  to cook him anything.
- Ryan has been amazing. He helped me keep calm through my labor and delivery, and he has done everything he can to make my life easier the past month. (Dishes, folding laundry, changing diapers, entertaining our toddler, shopping, making phone calls, house work, etc.)

1 comment:

  1. Two was a really hard adjustment for me. I cried a lot :) and it seemed like one of the kids was always crying! But it slowly gets better and easier. You have such darling girls and it sounds like you're doing a fabulous job. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete